Visitors to Ikaria can explore a variety of sites around the island including remains and ruins of ancient temples and old castles, churches and monasteries, museums, architectural sites of interest. landmarks and nature areas.
The Monastery of Mounte Evaggelismos (The Annunciation) is located near the village Kastanies near Raches. A beautiful verdant setting surrounds the monastery, including a small
wetlands area and dam on the river Myrsonas in what is known locally as the 'Vathes' region.
The monastery ... Read More »
Located on the south western coast of Ikaria, the Monastery of Evaggelistrias Mavrianou is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and was constructed in late 18th century. Up until 1960 the monastery was run and inhabited by monks. Nowadays it is still an interesting place to visit and ope... Read More »
The Monastery of Osias Theoktisti is located in Pigi village, near Kampos, on the north side of the island. It is a monastery dedicated to the Blessed Theoktiste from Molyvos, Lesvos, who according to tradition, is connected to Paros and Ikaria.
It is not known exactly, when the monastery... Read More »
Situated on a hill which was the ancient citadel of Oinoe, the first capital of Ikaria, the Kampos Archeological Museum contains over 250 finds from Ikaria. Museum items include Neolithic tools, pottery vessels, clay statuettes, columns, coins, and carved headstones.
The museum is located within a ... Read More »
The new Archaeological Museum of Ikaria opened in summer 2015 is located in the capital Agios Kirykos and housed in a beautiful neo-classical period building dating to 1925. The building originally served as a high school and was made possible by donations from Ikarians living in America. ... Read More »
Located in the sea about 50m offshore on the sea coast below Vaoni village, the "Rock of Ikaros" according to mythology is where Ikaros fell into the sea after having lost his wings. The surrounding coast line is formed of naturally carved marble and is a beautiful and interesting landscape to explo... Read More »
The Lighthouse of Kavos Papas is situated on the southwestern cape of Ikaria. This UNESCO registered Cultural Heritage site belongs to the Greek government-Lighthouse Service of the Greek Navy.
Built between 1886 and 1890 by the French Company of Lighthouses during the Ottoman Empire, it ... Read More »
The Afianes Wine History Museum is located at the Afianes Winery in Profit Ilias village near Xristos-Raches. The exhibit room, which is also used for wine tasting, features objects from Ikaria's long tradition of wine making. A variety of ceramic wine vessels, woven baskets, wine making tools, impl... Read More »
The Byzantine Odeon is located at the village of Kampos in the northern part of the island. It is on the ancient site of "Oenoe", known to be one of the most fertile places on the island and the wealthy ancient capital of Ikaria. Oenoe was a prosperous city known throughout the ancient world for its... Read More »
Located in Agios Kirikos, a short walk from the main square, The Folk & History Museum of Agios Kirikos in Ikaria was launched in July 2010, and is the result of the long efforts by Professor Themistocles Katsaros. Its mission is to preserve and promote Ikarian folklore, traditions and customs throu... Read More »
Built during the Hellenistic Period, the ruined walls of Roman baths situated at ancient Therma are all that remain of the once prosperous Ikarian city that thrived as a result of the visitors from Greece and Asia Minor who came to bath in its therapeutic hot mineral springs. In its heyday the Ancie... Read More »
One of the best preserved examples of Athenian military watchtowers from the Hellenistic period, Drakano Fortress and its fortifications were built during the time of Alexander the Great in the 4th century BC.br>
This 44 foot high limestone tower served as an observation point for Aegean Sea traf... Read More »
The Folklore Museum of Vrakades is located in the scenic village of Vrakades, 650 meters above sea level on the north-western side of the island. The village was founded in the 17th century and contains old stone houses and captains' villas of architectural note. The museum houses an interesting col... Read More »
Near the airport in Faros in the area called "Propezoulopi ", ancient stone monuments called "Menhir" are found scattered along the mountainside. Little in known about the area but it is thought to have been a sacred ancient region of Ikaria, perhaps a burial ground or a site for offerings and worsh... Read More »
The Castle of Koskina is a 10th century A.D. Byzantine castle fortress located on a mountain peak overlooking the village of Kosikia in the center of Ikaria. It was used to protect the Ikarians from attacks of pirates and enemies, thus its stategic position on such a steep mountain. Inside the castl... Read More »
The sixth century BC temple of Artemis at Nas was built by the Ikarians to honor the mother goddess Artemis, patroness of sailors and protector of hunters and wild animals. Nas was probably the first settled area of Ikaria and throughout antiquity its safe anchorage was an important staging point fo... Read More »